Monday, May 9, 2011

Texas Hoops Interviews Jalen Washington

Reprinted from http://www.texashoops.com/   These guys do a great job, visit their site. This interview was conducted by Damon Sayles
CARROLLTON, Texas - The May Great American Shoot-Out, to some extent, serves as a last-chance effort for many unsigned seniors. Jalen Washington, an unsigned senior from Pflugerville Hendrickson High School, took full advantage of the opportunity to play in the tournament and get additional exposure.


Washington played with the Texas D-1 Ambassadors-Houston over the weekend. A 6-foot-5, 190-pound wing, Washington is a product of the D-1 Ambassadors system, as he was one of the top players of the GASO last summer. Washington was once committed to play at Mount St. Mary's University in Emmitsburg, Md. Washington, however, de-committed to explore his other options.


TexasHoops.com Senior Writer Damon Sayles had a chance to sit down with Washington to discuss his college basketball future and rejoining the D-1 Ambassadors as he finalizes his college plans.

Jalen Washington


2 MINUTES WITH JALEN WASHINGTON


You decided against Mount St. Mary's. Why?


"I took the visit, and I liked the campus, but when I got home, I just realized I couldn't stay there all four years."


Was there something about the school that just rubbed you the wrong way?


"It's a nice place, but I thought about the visit and just couldn't see myself there the whole time."


How has recruiting been since then?


"Recruiting has been cool. After de-committing, a bunch of coaches called. I heard from UNLV, Northeastern, South Alabama and USF [San Francisco]. I'm just weighing my options right now."


What's life been like back with the Ambassadors?


"It's been nice. Some of the guys played up with my group last year. For me, it's helping me stay in shape and get some work in. It feels good to get back into game flow."


What's the goal playing with the Ambassadors for the rest of the spring and summer?


"I'm just trying to go out, have a good time and win a championship. We're going to Phoenix and Chicago. Our goals are to win them both."

Jalen is referring to our schedule for the remainder of the month of May as the Texas D1 Ambassadors travel to Phoenix next week for the aidas Elite 8 in the Desert and then on to Chicago for Memorial Day Weekend for the Best Buy Chicago Classic which is being hosted by Indiana Elite.
 
You can also read more about Jalen & the D1 Ambassadors results in the Great American Shootout by going to http://www.d1nation.com/ and clicking on the D1Nation-Houston Prep Report