Thursday, October 1, 2009

Paul Garnica To Northern Colorado


Above: Garnica in his Texas D-1 Ambassadors file photo.
I received a call at lunch time today from 2010 PG Paul Garnica of San Antonio Lee & the Texas D-1 Ambassadors. "Coach, I wanted you to be the first to know that I have just committed to the University of Northern Colorado in the Big Sky Conference."

Garnica has had a healthy recruitment this fall with school visits from UT-Arlington, Stephen F Austin and others. If you'd asked me three weeks ago I would have said he's going to Utah State. He had a nice visit to their campus earlier in the month. When I asked Paul what the deciding factors were he said, "Coach it just felt right...like Family. The coaches were great, and the players were cool. I especially liked their big man when we ran in open gym. The business school is what I wanted in an education and the campus and dorms are awesome."


Above: In front of a full house at the University of Memphis, Garnica went head to head (talking smack the whole time..lol) with one of the country's top guards in Memphis commit and hometown boy, Joe Jackson.

It's hard to pick favorites, but Paul is one of my favorite players of all time with the D-1 Ambassadors. He has a keen mind for the game, and simply hates to lose. He'll bring an edge to Northern Colorado and the Big Sky that will make him a unique player there. He's spent many an evening at my house and I feel that along with Lee Coach Tommy Hines that I know him as well as anyone. He's a winner.

Garnica is in position to become the career scoring leader in the history of the City of San Antonio. He's started at San Antonio Lee since his freshman year. In college as with the D-1 Ambassadors, Garnica will be less of a scorer and more of a distributor. He knows how to play the game. However, sleep on him just a little and he'll hang a bunch of points on you as witnessed by having put up 40+ points seven times last year, including 53 against San Antonio Reagan.

Congratulations to Paul and his Mother, Ms. Cynthia Garnica