Saturday, January 17, 2009

Boerne Coach Stan Leech Wins #600

Last night, one of the classiest, most savvy basketball coaches in Texas, if not the entire Country won his 600th game. Boerne Champion's Stan Leech notched his 600th win, 70-50 over Seguin.. He is 600-224 in his 25 seasons of coaching. In addition Coach Leech is the Athletic Director in Boerne, which for a basketball coach in Texas is almost as amazing as the 600 wins. He has shown how these two major sports can co-exist and flourish for the benefits of the kids and community at the 5A level.

I've known Coach now for 10 years and have always been impressed by his positive approach to the world. I first met him at a youth tournament in Marble Falls when his son Koby was in the 6th grade, and my son Chip was in the 7th as they competed against each other. He was never an overbearing basketball dad, never made excuses, and eventually his son went on to run the point for him at Boerne.

In late February of 2006 my son's team Pflugerville Connally met Boerne in the State Regional Quarterfinals at Dripping Springs HS. We had a nice team, one that was quick and very deep. Boerne was much more structured and featured 7 footer Josh Loemers who is now a Junior for the Baylor Bears. My son had a very nice game against Boerne, scoring 25 and I remember to this day (I was given the tape by the Boerne TV station) how gracious Coach Leech was in defeat during the postgame and how complimentary he was to my boy. So, Stan I am mildly aplogetic that you do not have 601 wins...:-)

Coach Leech is truly a Christian man who walks the walk. Boerne folks and all of San Antonio should be proud of him as a coach and a community leader.

Coach Max