Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Austin Akins 63 Pflugerville 59

I hate to say, (lol..maybe, I love to say) "I told you so". Just last night in my post of the San Antonio Madison-Smithson Valley game I discussed the possibility of a rematch from last year's first round game between the Mavs and Austin Akins. I stated that Akins is not to be taken lightly.

Akins Head Coach David Peavey has quickly turned around a culture of kids leaving to attend other Austin ISD schools, has instilled a work ethic and belief that they can play with anyone and quite simply he's a pretty good "X and O" guy as well. Peavey came from a year in the Southland Conference with Stephen F. Austin. Sure enough, last night Akins has notched a signature win for his program.

Sure enough, last night they served notice on their home court that they are no punchline to a joke as they notched a solid win over perennial district champ Pflugerville 64-59. Although I was not on hand, one of my staff was and they said it was Akins' defensive intensity which made the difference as they jumped on Pflugerville early. I spoke to Pflugerville Head Man Mike Murphy today. Murph's one of the most affable guys you'll ever meet but he's a tad ticked over the selfishness being shown periodically by his squad. One player has been removed from the team, and also unexpectedly starter Keith Bunton has moved to Indiana for family reasons. (We wish him well.) As those of you who follow me know, I'm very cautious about printing negative comments, but I know most of the Panthers and it's my opinion that they need to cut the baloney and the kids need to accept their roles. There is too much pettiness around guard Deon Mitchell's notoriety. Guys, pick your spots and play hard alongside Mitchell and Cleveland Smith and The Ville will be rewarded with a deep playoff run!

Akins held Mitchell to a manageable 17 points and also held Lamar signee Cleveland Smith to only 11 points. Meanwhile, 2011 WG Malcolm Canada continues to see his stock rise as he scored 20 for the Eagles. 2010 workhorse Kevin McFarlane also had 14 for Akins. Big, big win for Akins!
February 4th. I finally caught up with Austin Akins HS Head Coach David Peavey and asked him what the mood was after the big win over Pflugerville. First off he made it clear that anytime you can get a win over a program with a winning tradition and quality players like The Ville has, that is an important building block in building his program's credibility along with building the kids confidence and making them believe.
Coach explained, "Max, when I arrived here the kids were giddy over ANY win, let alone one over a high level opponent. Now they are to the point where they EXPECT to win."
Confidence is a powerful drug folks. So much can be accomplished when the 1st to the 15 man pull together for a common goal. Even though Austin High and Bastrop are still within striking distance of the final playoff spot that Akins currently holds, it's hard to imagine the Eagles going into a tail spin. At least that's the way I see it.